02 March 2008

Antigua, Guatemala





I arrived in Guatemala City and grabbed a bus for Antigua immediately. Despite everything I had heard about Guatemala city I actually enjoyed the 37 minutes I spent there. My cab driver from the Tica bus station was really nice and our drive to the Antigua bus station was rather plesant and the city is gorgeous. Im sure that all this changes after dark. But, luckily i will never know.

I made it to Antigua in about an hour. The city is soooooo cute. Its a colonial town that sits between three volcanoes. Cobbled streets and beautiful churches along with several lush parks filled with fountains. Pretty nice if you ask me. Apparently Antigua served as Guatemalas capital for 233 years but that titled was given to Guatemala city when an earthquake hit Antigua in 1773. Luckily a lot of its original colonial charm was restored.

No comments: